What is MicroLearning?
From a concept first presented in an Austrian diploma thesis in 2004 to a powerful tool used by global players such as Samsung, voestalpine & others in 2017
It was a long way…
- … from the concept of “Integrated Microlearning” first developed worldwide in an Austrian diploma thesis in 2004 by Gerhard Gassler (“Integriertes Mikrolernen”, Universität Innsbruck)
- … and the scientific invention of a screen saver used for knowledge mediation in the same year (see the publication “Integrated Micro Learning. An outline of the basic method and first results”, 2004, by Gerhard Gassler, Theo Hug, and Christian Glahn)
- … to a powerful tool for onboarding, further education and academic learning used by companies, organisations, and academic institutions in the whole world and still being an exciting object of research on its effects.
You find some key publications in the field of microlearning research here for free:
1. Recommended Introductory Paper:
- Peter A. Bruck/Luvai Motiwalla/Florian Foerster (2012): “Mobile Learning with Micro-content: A Framework and Evaluation”, 25th Bled eConference.
2. MicroLearning in Medicine & Health:
- Luuk P. A. Simons/Florian Foerster/Peter A. Bruck et al. (2015): “Microlearning mApp raises health competence: hybrid service design”. Health and Technology.
- Josef Smolle/Peter A. Bruck (2017): “MicroLearning in Undergraduate Medical Education”, Paper for iKNOW-Conference 2017, to be published.
3. MicroLearning & Gamification:
- Bernhard Göschlberger/Peter A. Bruck (2017): “Gamification in Mobile and Workplace Integrated MicroLearning”, Paper for iiWAS 2017, to be published.
4. Social MicroLearning:
Bernhard Göschlberger, Researcher & Mobile Software Developer heads the Mobile Knowledge Lab at Research Studios Austria and is the pioneer of Social MicroLearning.
- Bernhard Göschlberger (2016): “A Platform for Social Microlearning”, EC-TEL Conference.
- Bernhard Göschlberger (2016): “Social Microlearning Motivates Learners to Pursue Higher-Level Cognitive Objetives”, in: E-Learning, E-Education, and Online Training.
And finally, do you want to participate in an elaborated discussion on pros and cons of MicroLearning? We recommend this posting (2017) and this reply (2017) as a starter!